Anglican Church involvement in the Northern Territory
On 8th July 2006, 100 years of Anglican Church involvement in the development of the Northern Territory was celebrated. Since 1946 the Anglican Church has been actively involved in the delivery of welfare services to the people of the Northern Territory. This work started with the provision of accommodation and educational support services to Indigenous children from remote communities in the Central Australian region. These activities were provided at the site still known as the St Mary’s campus on the South Stuart Highway 5km from the centre of Alice Springs.
The Emergence of Anglicare NT
The growing service delivery base in the Alice Springs evolved into what was known for many decades as St Mary’s Family Services, a local welfare agency of the Anglican Church. In latter years this organisation became known as Anglicare Central Australia. 1989 saw the establishment of Anglicare Top-End, which commenced with the delivery of community services in Darwin and the integration of services previously provided through the Church Missionary Society on Groote Eylandt, East Arnhemland.
Anglicare NT was established in June 2002 by an Ordinance of the Synod of the Diocese of the Northern Territory, this process involved the merger of two large entities namely Anglicare Central Australia (St Mary’s Family Services) and Anglicare Top End.
Anglicare NT Today
Anglicare NT is now one of the largest providers of government-funded welfare, social justice and community development programs in the Northern Territory. With over 85 different programs operating in urban, rural, regional and remote communities, 450 staff, 250 volunteers and with 10 key established operational sites – Anglicare NT aims to make a difference in the lives of Territorians.
Anglicare NT is a member of Anglicare Australia.